A fireplace is an awesome addition to any single-family rental home in Toano. However, fireplaces also bring along some unique risks to renters. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fireplaces are the leading cause of home fires in the U.S., causing nearly 500 deaths and over $1 billion in property damage every year. To enjoy your fireplace and stay safe all at once, it is crucial to adhere to a few basic fireplace safety rules.
The most common reason a fireplace causes a house fire is usually due to creosote buildup or obstructions in the chimney. As time passes, wood-burning fires create a thick layer of soot and ash, called creosote, on the inside of the chimney walls. If not properly cleaned, this material can ignite, causing significant damage to the property and threatening the safety of everyone in the home. More problems, such as dead leaves, bird nests, or falling bricks, can block the airflow in the chimney and cause sparks to fly out into the room, possibly igniting rugs, nearby décor, or furniture. In the case of gas fireplaces, and obstructed chimney could cause dangerous fumes to vent into the home. Either situation is extremely risky for you and the home’s other occupants if any.
In order to avoid these and other problems, there are several important steps that you ought to take. First of all, use only the recommended types of fuel for your fireplace. For wood-burning fireplaces, that is dried and well-seasoned wood free of any chemicals or accelerants. For gas or electric fireplaces, never put anything in the flames. This can end up in showers of sparks and hot ash capable of starting the house on fire. Chimney fires can become as hot as 2000°F, hot enough to crack bricks, melt metal, and catch your attic, siding, and roof on fire. Correct use of your fireplace is one of the best ways to avoid such dangers.
Next, make sure to supervise the use of your fireplace carefully. For both gas and wood fireplaces, never leave the fireplace lit unsupervised. It is crucial to keep an updated fire extinguisher nearby and to make sure that you regularly change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. In the event that your fireplace has an operating manual, keep it in an accessible location for easy reference. Avoid coming too close to the fireplace while lit, and be sure to keep an eye on any pets carefully to keep them from getting burnt and accidents.
Lastly, you better check with your property manager or landlord to see if the fireplace is being regularly inspected and cleaned. A good property manager will have a fireplace serviced periodically to ensure that it is in good working condition and ventilating correctly. To make sure you remain safe, it is vital that you know that pilot lights, valves, and sensors are working correctly and that you know how to run your fireplace successfully. In the event that your landlord gives you materials on fire safety, read through them carefully before attempting to use your fireplace. For tenants, observing proper fireplace safety is an important aspect of keeping you and your possessions out of harm’s way.
Are you tired of doing it yourself? Why not give Real Property Management VA Peninsula a call? It doesn’t matter if you own one rental home or several, our goal is to protect and maximize your real estate investment. Supported by over 30 years of nationwide experience, our team of Toano property managers is here to help rental home owners maximize rental income while minimizing expenses and inefficiencies. Contact us online or give us a call at 757-251-9188 today.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.